Cheers to all the readers, thanks for being interested!
This week I wanted to talk about recycling the oil we use for cooking at home. Searching for works on this issue on the internet, I stumbled upon Juan David Tirado Saldarriaga´s Business Administration Thesis. He mentions the advantages and disadvantages of biodiesel made from reutilized cooking oil:
- They are environmental friendly, and in comparison with the conventional gas oil, they have reduced quantities of carbon monoxide emissions, particles, hydrocarbons, carbon dioxide, sulfur oxides, etc.
- They are 98,3% biodegradable in 21 days.
- They are non toxic.
- They have got better lubricating properties, which reduces loud noises and enhances the lifespan of the engine.
- Greater dissolvent power, which reduces gas emissions, maintains the engine clean and lets the conducts free of obstruction.
- The power of the engine decreases.
- The fuel consumption increases, as biodiesel contains less calorific power than gas oil.
- The nitrogen oxides emissions increase, due to higher temperatures and pressures reached in the combustion chamber, which, at the same time, is due to a delay in its timing.
- Some materials deteriorate in contact with biodiesel: the paintings, plastics, rubbers, etc. when used at 100%
Although I believe it is not a definite solution to the problems related to the emission done by the engines of our vehicles, I think it is a good alternative to follow, at least until massive access technology appears, which allows electrical powered transport as well as powered through magnetism, like Shanghai’s Maglev Train. The concept of using magnetism to move things is quite simple:
If you do not know where to send your used oil, pour it inside an empty plastic bottle (reutilizing plastic) and consult your cities’ town council about where to keep your oil. It is just putting a little bit of pressure, for them to know that you don’t longer want to throw the potential fuel for the car down the sink. The oil reutilizing cycle is simple and easy to extrapolate to plans of action by the government; it cannot be that difficult to get a little bit organized, give away new job positions and help Gaia, right?
If you live in Capital Federal, you have already got a big tool through the job done by Miuki and Fran, who started a proyect on the recollection of used oil in that city. This can be applied in other countries as well. Have a look in their web site and start recycling oil tomorrow!
My friends, a huge goodbye!
And an airport hug.